Sunday, July 13, 2008

Imaginative play

Since Rosemary has had her new HappyLand Cottage I've been really enjoying eavesdropping on her imagination. It's fascinating to listen to her talking to the people and getting them to do things. Here are some examples of things I've heard her saying while playing with it:
  • You go to sleep, now, Daddy.
  • You going to walk the doggie, Mummy?
  • Come one, boy! Get up!
  • How are you, today, girl?
  • You come on, girl. Now!
But it's not just playing with this that demonstrates her burgeoning imagination, we also see her changing Eeyore's nappy, sitting Tiger on the toilet to do a poo, feeding baby (usually with ice cream), reading baby books. And one that particularly bowled me over the other day: we were sat in her room after she'd woken from her nap and my book was on her bed; she picked it up and opened it up at a random page, then started reading to me:
  • Once upon a time, there was a big girl called Mummy Tasha. She lived in a big house with Daddy and Wesley and Rosie. She took the dog for a walk and he barked lots.
This is a very close approximation to me telling her a story about Rosemary, where I always start 'Once upon a time, there was a little girl called Rosemary. She lived in a really big house with her Mummy, her Daddy and her dog Wesley.' I then tend to tell a story about something she has done recently or something she does regularly (e.g. going swimming, going to see Granny, etc.), though more recently I've been getting a bit more imaginative, myself.

Anyway, we're really enjoying being witness to the whole birth of creativity and imagination!

No comments: