Friday, November 03, 2006

Friday 3 November 2006

Rosemary woke at 7am. We came upstairs to the office, where I fed her while catching up on the Internet. I then changed her and she had a wriggle on the changing mat and was quite talkative. Over the last few days, she's started doing these little squeals of joy (at least, that's what they look and sound like!) while she's talking. They are so adorable and fill my heart with extra love every time I hear them (which is odd, because I always think that I couldn't possibly love her any more, but then she does something new and/or particularly cute and suddenly there's even more love - sorry, sappy tangent there). We'll have to try to capture them on video for you. She got changed into her day clothes then came upstairs, where we had a bit more of a chat until she wanted some more food. She then fell asleep while feeding (very quick feed, too, so may have been more thirst than hunger) and went down in her chair at about 8.30am.

I have a feeling that she will do a lot of sleeping today, as it seems that this is the pattern for the day after she has a 'non-sleeping' day. Of course, the fact that I've identified a pattern means she will almost certainly do something completely differently to keep me on my toes. (It's 9am as I type this paragraph, so she's been asleep for half an hour - the longest she slept for during the day yesterday. We shall see.) She's slept through me sneezing loudly a couple of times and I just risked blowing my nose (though probably not quite as forcefully as I usually do) and that hasn't woken her, so that's promising.
Usually when she has a sleepy day, I manage to get lots and lots of work done. Don't know how much I'll manage today, though, as this cold is a bad one and all I really feel like doing is going back to sleep myself. Will try and get some done now, though, at least for a bit.

She woke at 11.30am and also had another nap of about an hour and a half in the afternoon. The rest of the time she was awake, alert and pretty happy. My ER Season 7 DVDs arrived in the post, so I allowed myself to be ill on the sofa and watch them. Rosemary spent most of the day in her chair in the living room, though she did also spend some time on her mat under the baby gym and walking around in her dad's arms talking with him.

She did lots of chatting and cooing and smiling and giggling. We read some books and sang lots of songs. She also had quite a lot of nakedish wriggling time on her changing mat, as she likes to chat to Nappy Monster or look at the painted animals on her toy box.

I thought she was going to go to sleep early, as she fell asleep while feeding at 8pm. I carried her upstairs and put her in her crib, but she woke up again immediately. So we stayed in the bedroom and she lay on the bed talking to my leg for a bit (!) and she kind of rolled onto her side. She didn't really do it again, though. I think she'll be full-on rolling fairly soon. We had some more chatting and singing (the poor girl is bound to inherit her mum's tone-deafness as I sing to her all the time) on the bed. She did a bit of standing between my legs and then tried to crawl up me. Tried putting her down a few more times when she showed signs of sleepiness, but she went down properly at 10pm on the dot.

I then had my dinner (!!) and watched an episode of Teachers on Trouble before going to sleep myself at 11pm. She woke up at 2.30am for a feed, back down at 3.15am and slept through to 7am.

She only did one poop again, but this was quite a small one - though nice healthy yellow, which is good. This is, I think, a good sign as, from what I've read, the less poops and the yellower and thicker they are, the better the baby is metabolising his or her food. It could mean she's putting on weight at a faster rate, or it could mean she's just taking the nutrients out properly instead of wasting them. Or could also mean that I'm producing healthier milk, though I don't think my diet has really changed much, so that's less likely I think.

The other new thing is that she's started moving her individual fingers a lot more. I think she'll be properly grasping things soon, as before she would generally open and close the whole fist at once. I've seen her with her actual thumb in her mouth a few times now, rather than sucking on her knuckles, too.

No comments: