Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The modern husband

So yeah, nowadays in addition to fixing the plumbing, changing nappies, killing spiders and scaring burglars the 21st century man must also be prepared to roll up his sleeves, place a clothespeg on his nose and get on with updating the blog. I know, I know, it seems like women's work, and I admit I feel slightly emasculated whenever I edit HTML, but what's a guy to do?

Seriously, just as the first six months can be a bit, well... boring for dad because sleeping and eating is pretty much it for the baby (although we had enough drama in the first few hours, never mind the first couple of weeks, to last for a long, lonnnnnnng time) so describing this from an external point of view would be even more boring. And logging on as a separate entity just to post pics wouldn't really work for me. I have to make my little comments, as you'll notice in any video that I've shot. But now... six months seems the right time to start contributing more.

And lo, I have actual content. Rosemary eating breakfast...



[Further video to come once I can get it uploaded]

Apparently babies will keep food in their mouths, like hamsters, for up to 30 minutes or so (sometimes apple-cheeked isn't just figurative), and that's what can cause the occasional choking cough. It's not so much that they're having trouble with one piece of food, more that they're in such a rush to taste all before them that they're trying to eat the main course without first swallowing the apertif. Something that my own father is familiar with.

Couple of technical things to get out of the way (things are going to be different around here). The number of posts on the main page has been reduced from 10 to 5 to avoid having to load so many pictures, and captcha has been turned on for the comments. And can I take this opportunity to suggest to anybody - by which I chiefly mean Rosemary's grandparents - that leaving a brief comment is not only acceptable but desirable.

No comments: