Monday, January 12, 2009

“I tried to strangle a little girl”

This is what Rosemary announced to us over lunch today.

“You tried to what a little girl?”

“I was strangling her”

“Why did you do that?”

“I don’t know.”

“Ah. Were you trying to give her a hug?”

“Yes, I was.”

“And you were hugging a bit too tight?”

“Yes, it was too tight and she cried.”

“Did you stop strangling her?”

“Yes, I did stop.”

“Did someone ask you to stop?”

“Yes, one of my ladies.”

A bit later, we decided on a few more leading questions.

“Did you play nicely with the other children?”

“You weren’t nice?”

“No.”

“Were you horrible?”

“Yes, I was horrible.”

“Why were you horrible?”

“Because I tried to strangle the little girl.”

In the end, Chris phoned the nursery school to check. Yes, she was trying to give a girl a hug and the little girl was getting upset and Rosemary didn’t realise. She let go as soon as one of the adults asked her to. And she played very nicely with all the other children. Phew!

No comments: