Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tuesday 31 October 2006

Happy Halloween!

So Rosemary was up at 5.30am after 'sleeping through'. We came upstairs at 6am-ish and she went to sleep in her bouncy chair until about 7.30am. She then had half an hour of chattering with me (and loads of gorgeous smiles and giggles). I then changed her and put her day clothes on (and she had a naked wriggle while I let the dog out and then fed him) and that was followed by more chattering and singing, a littlish feed, then some calmer chattering until she fell asleep just before 9am.

And woke up at about 10.15am. She spent some time with her dad while I had a quick shower, then we went off to postnatal class. Today's class was on resuscitation, which is a scary but obviously very useful topic. Got given some nappies, too. One of the mums had brought in some nappies that her boy had grown out of, specifically for the mum of the 7-week-old baby. The 7-week-old baby is now bigger than Rosemary, though, having had a huge growth spurt (he looked pretty darned tiny last week). So Rosemary got them. I didn't really do much talking. Talked a bit to a mum of a 9-week-old girl - who's probably about the same size as Rosemary - at the end and obviously talked to the mum who gave me the nappies. But other than that it was mostly just nodding and saying hello. It's the last week next week. Although, I didn't go to the first few weeks, so might go along to the first few weeks of the next round and maybe meet some brand new mums. I overheard some of the mums swapping mobile numbers and arranging to meet up later in the week. Ah well. I should really be proactive. Maybe if I go to the first few weeks of the next round, I'll do better. Or maybe not. Or maybe I should wait until Rosemary's at school before I expect to make friends with other mums!

Came pretty much straight home after class, via the Co-op, and Rosemary sat in her chair for a bit, while I ate my lunch, but got hungry while I was eating it, so I fed her at the same time. She spent an hour or so nodding off, then waking up and being alert, then nodding off... Had her nappy changed as it was quite damp, though no pooh. I have a feeling she's getting into a one-huge-poop-a-day habit, which is not going to be good for the washing machine!

I finally got her to go properly to sleep by sitting next to her, rocking the chair every minute or so. I think it's important that she has a decent chunk of sleep in the day, as it helps her to sleep at night. But she can sometimes find it difficult to stay asleep - or to fall into a deep enough sleep, more to the point. So, if I need to rock her chair or take her for a long walk to help her get that chunk of deep sleep I will. It's not always necessary, she does it on her own too. So, she went to sleep properly at about 3.30pm.

Workwise, I responded to emails in the morning while she slept, sent out invoices in the afternoon while she went between dozing and being alert and happy and then made a start on some PowerPoints while she slept in the afternoon/early evening.

She woke up again at 7pm. Had a feed and a nappy change - and got her bed clothes on, as it was dark. Then had a little bit of time with daddy and then played in her chair with me for a while - mostly just chattering and giggling. Had another feed at about 8.45pm and fell asleep in her chair at around 9.10pm.

I carried her up and put her in her crib at about 9.40pm and she didn't wake up then, nor until 2.30am. She woke up then and had a decent feed and went back to sleep in her crib at about 3am, not to wake up until 6am.

No comments: